You are here: Intangir NetworkForumGeneral ForumsGeneral ForumAlternate Reality and the Internet
Pages: [1]
Alternate Reality and the Internet
Alternate Reality and the Internet
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:11:48 pm »

The Internet in general is often considered an imaginary place where there are no consequences for our actions and that things said here have no effect on other because we can't see them in person.

This is not true. The internet is as real a place as the world our bodies exist in. Our true selves often expose themselves here. We exist simultaneously in both worlds. We live, we love... We share our thoughts, our fears, our accomplishments, and disappointments. We talk to real people. We don't exist here in a vacuum. We must be more kind and conscious of our words and actions online.

That's all I've got to say on that for the moment. Just be nicer to people and don't talk down to them.

\\\"The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.\\\" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh<br /><br />My Craft Business:<br />http://luckycatcrafts.zohosites.com/Home.html
Re: Alternate Reality and the Internet
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:47:35 pm »

One problem with the internet is that some people (like me) often post what in their heads. If im talking to a person in real life it goes thru a filter, but on the internet, if I think it, I type it.

• Intangir
  • Global Moderator
  •  
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:15:56 am »

i hate it when people do something super rude or stupid, then when you get annoyed they say,you mad bro? qq more newb

so obnoxious
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:36:09 am »

Well, Hotshot, the solution to that problem is practicing mindfulness. It's hard at first, but after a while, you'll get the hang of it. I speak from experience. A few months ago, I was a crazy ball of emotions that enjoyed trolling as a release of pressure. Now that I practice this way of life, I'm much more at peace and I hurt others much less often than I used to. I've still gotten close to PKing Dashie because he was being an ass. But I only thought about it for a new york minute; and a year ago, I would have done it.

For all problems, we must look at the root cause and cure that instead of only dealing with the surface. On the surface, the problem appears to be speaking without thinking it through first. But what is the cause for that? You had a thought before you said what you were thinking. Ask yourself why you had that thought. Did they hurt you? Why did they hurt you? Perhaps the person who is hurting or irritating you is hurting and doing this to release the pressure. How do you fix that? With Kindness. So reply kindly. If you cannot reply kindly, then don't reply at all.

I use this process as a guideline, not a rule. My primary religion doesn't have a concept of sin, and no rule against killing. Although I won't kill in meat-space, I'd PK a griefer or petty tyrant in a heartbeat.

\\\"The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.\\\" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh<br /><br />My Craft Business:<br />http://luckycatcrafts.zohosites.com/Home.html
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 04:29:30 pm »

I don't troll people, even when I was a kid I didn't do the trolls Int mentioned. Me its more getting drawn into an argument when gaming gets intensive. I am a lot more level headed then when I was a kid, but I still do find myself getting angry from time to time. Especially since I play a somewhat competitive game that's heavily reliant on your allies (dota 2).

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:47:07 pm »

[ author=Hotshot[SF] link=topic=2495.msg17232#msg17232 date=1365028170]
I don't troll people, even when I was a kid I didn't do the trolls Int mentioned. Me its more getting drawn into an argument when gaming gets intensive. I am a lot more level headed then when I was a kid, but I still do find myself getting angry from time to time. Especially since I play a somewhat competitive game that's heavily reliant on your allies (dota 2).
[/]

Different allies would be a good start...

Anger is perfectly natural when other people are being idiots, cowards, etc... You just can't let it be the deciding factor in your course of action. Easier said than done. I used to fight with everyone when I played Medal of Honor. They claimed I was cheating because I shot them when they couldn't see me. (I was hiding and they were out in the open.) They claimed I was cheating when they couldn't hit me at point blank range. (Because I move when I'm being shot at, duh.) But eh, whatever. That's what I get from playing FPS games with people who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside or conceptualize any sort of stratagem. The solution was that I started playing Halo 2 with Europeans over the internet. Me and this male nurse from the Netherlands would always go against the French and German clans and kick ass. I was the strategist, and he was the crazy bastard that got the enemies to fall for our traps. One of these days I'll meet a challenging opponent, and my luck, I won't be near a console to test them. As it stands, the best I could do at the moment is taking them to the creative server's archery range.

But, moral of my ramblings is that I feel your pain. Being surrounded by idiots who don't even bother to put in a little effort sucks.

Pages: [1]
You are here: Intangir NetworkForumGeneral ForumsGeneral ForumAlternate Reality and the Internet
Jump to: