Pages: [1]
Curry! (Kare)
Curry! (Kare)
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:16:46 pm »

So... Being more or less vegetarian*, I have to season my food without meat. I'm also trying to avoid artificial sugars, processed carbohydrates, saturated fats, grains other than rice from Japan (where GMOs are banned) and the corn I grow myself (due to severe allergic reactions to the pesticides used on/in them). I also avoid excess salt.

Due to the desire for flavor within my dietary needs, I have turned to curries. Curry is any dish made with a base flavor of a mix of spices. To put it simply, there are millions of individual curries.There is a problem with that definition. Curry is a symphony of flavor compared to other spiced dishes, and the difference between them is subtle in terms of how they are made. Curries can be grilled, fried, baked, broiled, simmered, sauteed, etc... I've never seen the concept framed in a way that is easy to grasp; so, you can just taste it for yourself.

*I'm technically flexitarian since I will eat meat under certain circumstances.

Although my gardens in minecraft are lager by far, my real life garden is nothing to sneeze at. Today I harvested a few lbs of mustard greens (less than 1/5 of the total of them in the garden). After washing and chopping them, I blanched them quickly in unsalted boiling water. Then I made a red lentil curry with about 3/4 cup of the blanched greens.

Shaman's Curried Lentils and Mustard
1 tbs curry powder**
1 veggie boullion cube
1 cup washed lentils + 1-1.5 cups water
0.5 cups greek yogurt
3 tbs tomato paste
0.75 cups blanched mustard greens
simmer all while stirring occasionally until lentils are done and it forms a thick soup, add in the mustard greens and stir well, serve atop steamed fragrant rice or with a side of naan. crumbled chevre and cilantro leaves make great garnishes.

**I use my own secret blend of spices for this. Use any Indian or Pakistani curry powder that doesn't contain anise.

More recipes to come.

\\\"The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.\\\" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh<br /><br />My Craft Business:<br />http://luckycatcrafts.zohosites.com/Home.html
Pages: [1]
Jump to: